Sunday, February 12, 2006

Rang De Mehndi

Rang De Mehndi filter coffee series

Photograph: Vijayalakshmi Rajendran

Thanks viji for the beautiful snap. I am guilty of slightly editing it to concentrate on the theme of the post but I am sure you will forgive me.

I am sure all of you know where this title was lifted from. I watched the movie without even knowing the meaning of "Rang De Basanti". Infact I was surprised when even my colleagues admitted that they weren't sure about the exact meaning. Only later on I figured it as "Paint it Yellow" where Basanti is the yello color due to the mustard's flower blooming in full swing.

Anyway here Mehndi is applied to a bride for marriage. Isn't it amazing as to how a properly designed mehndi, can enhance the grandeur and elegance of the bride? I know it is supposed to be feminine but as a kid, I used to say fight for equality - literally. Which meant that I sported mehndi once in a while. Though no one had the patience for such intricate patterns - it was more of few circles, blocks etc on my hand. One can compare it to the cave paintings :)

Now I am restricting to applying mehndi for others. Anyone with a scissor can cut an hair, yet everyone goes to saloons. Similarly any one can do this, but for best results come to me for Kolam and Mehndis (or "marudhani" as it is called in Tamil). Satisfaction guaranteed :)

And if you are sudasudacoffee reader, I will offer special discounts. Just quote "ssc-a12c" as offer code at the time of billing......

10 Comments:

Blogger Prithi Shetty said...

This one is Wow ! :)

2/12/2006 7:25 PM  
Blogger Baejaar said...

Yes Lh. We had marudhani only in the temple. No one else grew that else where. So I accompanied by my maid, used to trek to the temple, collect and prepare them. The dark green paste was applied directly by us and we didnt have any facny poweders or tools to apply. I never used to sleep with it. Apply in the morining and wait till late night. I was spoon fed - literally :-)

And I will give it to you at 5 US cents per coat. I love numesmatics, so 5 cents is still worth it.

Thanks Prithi.

2/12/2006 8:26 PM  
Blogger Srini said...

nice picture !

"Rang De Daler Mehndi" !!

2/12/2006 8:54 PM  
Blogger kavi said...

Nice to know that u r a mehendi designer ...count me in too....

2/13/2006 6:48 AM  
Blogger Baejaar said...

Thanks Srini. Though I need to admit that I dont know what "daler" means. I should ask my colleagues.

LH, I specialize in Indian coins release before independence - particularly the East India Company. I have coins from 1830s to the 20th century.

Still I do collect foriegn coins/currencies apart from philately.

As far as the 5 cents, after a decade those coins might be phased out and its value will increase. I did the same with indian coins 5 paise, 10 paise etc.

Kavi,
Looks like my business is growing well overseas. May be I should start referral business. You bring in 3 customers and get yours done for free :) Or visit my blog 50 times to get one mehndi application free.

2/13/2006 8:51 PM  
Blogger kavi said...

Y dont i be ur distributor here or else open a branch here n `ll manage it for u :)

2/14/2006 5:18 AM  
Blogger Baejaar said...

You can be my Business Manager / Finance Director - US Operations. But you stick to your business. I will still be the one applying Marudhani. Thereby I can use our customer's money to fund my trip for Photography to US :)

2/14/2006 5:30 AM  
Blogger kavi said...

sounds like a nice idea but,can the business manager/finance director get to have mehendi applications??if yes.then i`m ready to work for US operations :))

2/14/2006 5:43 AM  
Blogger Baejaar said...

Definitely. After all that is your salary ;-)

Dont worry that is not all. I will also pass on 10% of the customer's bill to you. But then that is VCPI (Variable Company Performance Incentive) :)

2/14/2006 5:46 AM  
Blogger Srini said...

I guess Daler Mehndi sung the title track for RDB

2/15/2006 4:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home