Sunday, April 10, 2005

Greed

Greed

Quote: Henry Ford
Photographer: Dheepak Ra
Venue: Thankfully not in my company campus

I doubt whether Ford would have imagined the extent to which our society would degenarate.

Usually I post only shots from my workplace but I was forced to make an exception here. No prizes for guessing - this is Chennai only. A single phone call is all that is required for the govt water tankers to be at your door step (free of cost). But when they fill up the Sintex water tank in the road, shouldnt it be available to all? Dont know who had the brainwave to put a lock to it.

Well this wasnt in my colony - shot it somewhere else. Due to which I was forced to face a guy in the neighbourhood with two dogs in his leash. Diplomatically managed to avoid confrontation and had to shoot this discreetly.

This led me to ponder about the rights of a photographer. Can you shoot anything and everything which is in public? If you can shoot an actor/actress in public and even publish it, cant we shoot guy/lady on the road? No I cant ask permission, then the shot wont be artificial. Would love to hear your views on this.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can shoot as long as your subject doesn't object... ;)

4/11/2005 12:45 AM  
Blogger Baejaar said...

Hmm But that is the whole point. Do I have the right to shoot, if my subject objects? After all when a reporter shoots either for newspaper or magazine, he doesnt ask for their explicit permission. Or atleast usually they dont.

4/11/2005 2:07 AM  
Blogger me said...

Hi Dheepak,

you have to ask for explicit permission before shooting someone.
The reporters have different rights.

4/11/2005 2:24 AM  
Blogger Baejaar said...

Priya
In the electronic age there is a thin line between journalism and blogging. After all under the guise of reporting, dont they shoot actor/actress to increase commerical sales of their magazines/newspapers.

Fighter
I am sorry but I was at the scene. The syntex water tank is a public property which is being filled by water supply board (I live near that place :-( )

So I can assure you that water is free and the tank is govt. property.

Eventhough for managing water distribution, they can allocated a tank to a particular set of buildings, I think locking it down is crossing the limits.

4/11/2005 2:56 AM  
Blogger Baejaar said...

I know that its risky. I realized that pretty late though :-) Was nearly in the receiving end.

However imagine the plight of all the investigative journalists. I guess once you enter a public place, you can be photographed without your consent.

4/12/2005 3:39 AM  
Blogger Baejaar said...

I have been searching in vain for a link to the legal acts and docs. If any of you have come across it, do let me know.

Till then check out these articles/debates:

GIS Development
MyFourThirds

4/12/2005 6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home